Sunday 4th of August 2019
This is a challenging category BL fell race suitable only for experienced fell runners.
Some of the paths are unmarked; the majority of the course will not be flagged and will require navigation skills especially in the event of bad weather.
The Saddleworth Round is a serious challenge. We will try to make the race as safe as possible but we cannot be responsible for you during this event. You should not enter unless you have the appropriate navigation / mountain craft skills and equipment.
GPS is allowed.
The race is run under FRA Rules and we will check that the following minimum kit is carried:- MAP, COMPASS, WHISTLE, FULL WATERPROOF BODY COVER, INCLUDING TAPED SEAMS, HAT AND GLOVES and FOOD. It is recommended that water and mobile phone are carried. Water will not be provided.
Distance: 26km/ 16.1 miles
Climb: 970m /3182 ft
Start: 11am (registration opens 9am)
Free Chip Butties & Cake at the end
Online entry fee £8
Entry on the Day £10
Cross Keys Inn, Running Hill Gate, Uppermill, Oldham, OL3 6LW.
Limited will be parking available in the pub, more parking is available on surrounding local roads. Please take into account the parking restrictions in place in the pub car park. The landlords are kindly letting us use their facility for this race and we need to ensure ‘regular’ customers can park. Please also be considerate to local residents when parking on the road.
Please allow 20 mins to get from Registration to the race start.
The notes below are for general guidance only. You must attend all points, where your race number will be taken. It is your responsibility to Navigate between these checkpoints.
· Start - Intersection of Running Hill Lane and Running Hill Gate SE012067 Follow flagged track and trod path to Broadstone Trig point SE020069.
· CP1 – Holmfirth Road Across from Binn Green Car Park SE017044. Take Care crossing Road
· CP2 – Top of Ashway Gap SE031042:
· CP3 – Foxstone’s Cairn SE025037
· CP4 – Path Intersection under Wimberry Rocks - SE019027
· CP5 – Chew Reservoir – SE035017 Follow Flagged route to:
· CP6 – Laddow Rocks - SE056013. Head North to:
· CP7 – Black Hill -SE078046. Follow flagged route across the moors to CP8 - (NOTE do not take the main Pennine Way)
· CP8 – Holmfirth Road - SE051063 Take Care Crossing Road
· Follow flagged route back along the Cotton Famine to Finish at the Cross Keys SE008062
NOTE: There will be 2 cut off points. CP5 – Chew Reservoir will close 2hrs 10 minutes after the start and CP8 – Holmfirth Road will close 4hrs after the start. These will be strictly enforced in the interest of your safety and that of the volunteer marshals’. Transport back is not provided. If timed out you must still report Race Registration on your return.
The route is stunning incorporating the finest the Peak District has to offer, boggy rough moors, the highest points in the region and the Pennine Way where you can stretch you legs and run fast. An interesting aspect of the route in the ‘Cotton Famine Road’ built during the American Civil War by unemployed cotton workers, it remains a distinctive peculiarity as it stretches across the moors. While you run take the time to enjoy the regeneration of the moors, what was once lifeless peat is now teaming with plants and birds, if you are lucky the grouse will rise as you run and hares will cross your path.
James Sheard: 01457 877230
Note - the map below is for guidance only, you will be expected to carry a map suitable for navigating the route on the day.